Max Verstappen, representing Red Bull Racing, secured his eighth victory of the 2023 Formula 1 World Championship on Sunday at the British Grand Prix. This event marked the eleventh round of the season.
While Verstappen claimed his first triumph at the prestigious U.K. race, it was the impressive performance of McLaren drivers Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri that caught the attention. Thanks to recent upgrades to their cars, the McLaren duo showcased remarkable pace, with Norris initially holding the lead for the first few laps.
However, Norris had to settle for second place as the race concluded, with a mere 3.8-second margin separating him from Verstappen. Lewis Hamilton from Mercedes-Benz AMG secured the third spot on the podium, trailing Verstappen by approximately seven seconds. Hamilton narrowly edged out rookie Piastri, who impressively finished in fourth place, while fellow Mercedes driver George Russell secured fifth position.
Verstappen initiated the race in pole position, accompanied by Norris at the front of the grid. Norris gained an advantageous start and was pursued closely by Verstappen and Piastri in the initial laps, with Charles Leclerc from Ferrari also in the mix. Finally, on the fifth lap, Verstappen managed to overtake Norris and claim the lead with the assistance of the DRS.
The top positions remained relatively stable from that point onward until lap 33 when the virtual safety car was deployed due to power unit issues experienced by Kevin Magnussen of Haas. The following lap, Magnussen’s car eventually came to a halt, necessitating the deployment of the actual safety car. Most drivers, including race leader Verstappen, took the opportunity to pit during this period.
At the restart on lap 38, Verstappen successfully maintained his lead, while Norris faced challenges from Hamilton, causing a delay. This allowed Verstappen to establish a comfortable gap that he maintained until the race’s conclusion.
Few additional incidents occurred throughout the race, although Lance Stroll from Aston Martin received a penalty for causing contact with Pierre Gasly from Alpine, leading to Gasly’s subsequent retirement. Sergio Perez, Red Bull’s other driver, endured another disappointing qualifying session that resulted in a 15th place start. However, he fought his way through the pack during the race and ultimately finished in sixth position.
Following the weekend’s thrilling race, Verstappen solidified his commanding lead in the 2023 Drivers’ Championship, accumulating a total of 255 points. Perez secured second place with 156 points, while Fernando Alonso from Aston Martin held the third position with 137 points. In the Constructors’ Championship, Red Bull currently leads with 411 points, followed by Mercedes with 203 points and Aston Martin with 181 points. The Hungarian Grand Prix is the next race on the calendar, scheduled to take place in two weeks.
Full Results of the 2023 Formula 1 British Grand Prix:
- Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Lando Norris, McLaren (+3.798 seconds)
- Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes-Benz AMG (+6.783 seconds)
- Oscar Piastri, McLaren (+7.776 seconds)
- George Russell, Mercedes-Benz AMG (+11.206 seconds)
- Sergio Perez, Red Bull Racing (+12.882 seconds)
- Fernando Alonso, Aston Martin (+17.193 seconds)
- Alexander Albon, Williams (+17.878 seconds)
- Charles Leclerc, Ferrari (+18.689 seconds)
- Carlos Sainz, Ferrari (+19.448 seconds)
- Logan Sargeant, Williams (+23.632 seconds)
- Valtteri Bottas, Alfa Romeo (+25.830 seconds)
- Nico Hulkenberg, Haas (+26.663 seconds)
- Lance Stroll, Aston Martin (+27.483 seconds)
- Zhou Guanyu, Alfa Romeo (+29.820 seconds)
- Yuki Tsunoda, AlphaTauri (+31.225 seconds)
- Nyck De Vries, AlphaTauri (+33.128 seconds)
- Pierre Gasly, AlphaTauri – Did Not Finish
- Kevin Magnussen, Haas – Did Not Finish
- Esteban Ocon, Alpine – Did Not Finish
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Formula 1 British Grand Prix
Who won the 2023 F1 British Grand Prix?
Max Verstappen, representing Red Bull Racing, emerged as the winner of the 2023 F1 British Grand Prix.
How many victories did Max Verstappen have in the 2023 Formula 1 season?
Max Verstappen secured his eighth victory of the 2023 Formula 1 season at the British Grand Prix.
Which drivers completed the podium at the 2023 F1 British Grand Prix?
The podium at the 2023 F1 British Grand Prix consisted of Max Verstappen (1st place), Lando Norris from McLaren (2nd place), and Lewis Hamilton from Mercedes-Benz AMG (3rd place).
Who led the race initially at the 2023 F1 British Grand Prix?
Lando Norris from McLaren initially led the race at the 2023 F1 British Grand Prix.
What were the standings after the 2023 F1 British Grand Prix?
After the 2023 F1 British Grand Prix, Max Verstappen led the Drivers’ Championship with 255 points, followed by Sergio Perez in second with 156 points. In the Constructors’ Championship, Red Bull Racing was in the lead with 411 points.
More about Formula 1 British Grand Prix
- 2023 Formula 1 British Grand Prix – Race Highlights
- Official Formula 1 Website
- Red Bull Racing Team Website
- McLaren Team Website
- Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team Website
- FIA Formula 1 World Championship