In the thrilling 2023 Formula 1 World Championship, Max Verstappen of Red Bull Racing emerged as the undisputed champion after a sensational victory at the Qatar Grand Prix in October. This triumph marked Verstappen’s third consecutive title, solidifying his status as a dominant force in the sport.
What truly sets Verstappen’s 2023 season apart are the remarkable records he established. With the culmination of the Las Vegas Grand Prix over the past weekend, he secured a total of 18 race wins throughout the season, surpassing his own record of 15 from the previous year. Moreover, he achieved an astounding 10 consecutive victories, eclipsing Sebastian Vettel’s previous record of nine, set back in 2013 when he too was driving for Red Bull.
Verstappen’s victory in Las Vegas was his 53rd career win, matching the tally set by Vettel. He now stands as one of the all-time greats, with only Michael Schumacher (91) and Lewis Hamilton (103) ahead of him. Remarkably, Verstappen is a mere 26 years old, hinting at the potential for further achievements in his promising career.
Red Bull Racing had even more reasons to celebrate as they clinched the 2023 Constructors’ title earlier in September, following the Japanese Grand Prix. However, Verstappen’s teammate, Sergio Perez, faced a mixed season. While he managed to secure second place in the Drivers’ standings, his performance was marred by inconsistencies, including mishaps during qualifying and race-day crashes, such as the unfortunate incident at his home race, the Mexican Grand Prix.
Aston Martin provided an early-season surprise, with star driver Fernando Alonso consistently delivering strong results. Alonso graced the podium seven times, finishing third in various races, including Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Miami, and Brazil, and securing second place in Monaco and the Netherlands.
McLaren staged a remarkable comeback in the latter part of the season, with drivers Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri consistently performing well and frequently reaching the podium.
Among the rookie drivers, Oscar Piastri emerged as the standout performer, amassing an impressive 89 points, outperforming more experienced drivers like Pierre Gasly, Esteban Ocon, and Valtteri Bottas. Notably, Daniel Ricciardo temporarily replaced Piastri during some races due to an injury, with reserve driver Liam Lawson stepping in and making a positive impression.
As the season draws to a close with the upcoming Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Max Verstappen’s dominance and Red Bull Racing’s success in 2023 will undoubtedly be remembered as a defining chapter in Formula 1 history.
Here are the final standings for the 2023 F1 Drivers’ and Constructors’ Championships:
2023 F1 Drivers’ Championship Standings:
- Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing – 549 points
- Sergio Perez, Red Bull Racing – 273 points
- Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes-Benz AMG – 232 points
- Carlos Sainz, Ferrari – 200 points
- Fernando Alonso, Aston Martin – 200 points
- Lando Norris, McLaren – 195 points
- Charles Leclerc, Ferrari – 188 points
- George Russell, Mercedes-Benz AMG – 160 points
- Oscar Piastri, McLaren – 89 points
- Lance Stroll, Aston Martin – 73 points
- Pierre Gasly, Alpine – 62 points
- Esteban Ocon, Alpine – 58 points
- Alexander Albon, Williams – 27 points
- Yuki Tsunoda, AlphaTauri – 13 points
- Valtteri Bottas, Alfa Romeo – 10 points
- Nico Hulkenberg, Haas – 9 points
- Daniel Ricciardo, AlphaTauri – 6 points
- Zhou Guanyu, Alfa Romeo – 6 points
- Kevin Magnussen, Haas – 3 points
- Liam Lawson, AlphaTauri – 2 points
- Logan Sargeant, Williams – 1 point
- Nyck De Vries, AlphaTauri – 0 points
2023 F1 Constructors’ Championship Standings:
- Red Bull Racing – 822 points
- Mercedes-Benz AMG – 392 points
- Ferrari – 388 points
- McLaren – 284 points
- Aston Martin – 273 points
- Alpine – 120 points
- Williams – 28 points
- AlphaTauri – 21 points
- Alfa Romeo – 16 points
- Haas – 12 points
The 2023 F1 season featured some remarkable race winners, adding to the excitement of the championship:
- Bahrain Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Saudi Arabian Grand Prix – Sergio Perez, Red Bull Racing
- Australian Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Azerbaijan Grand Prix – Sergio Perez, Red Bull Racing
- Miami Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Emilia Romagna Grand Prix – Canceled
- Monaco Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Spanish Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Canadian Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Austrian Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- British Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Hungarian Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Belgian Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Dutch Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Italian Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Singapore Grand Prix – Carlos Sainz, Ferrari
- Japanese Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Qatar Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- United States Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Mexican Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Brazilian Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Las Vegas Grand Prix – Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing
- Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – TBD
The 2023 F1 season has been nothing short of spectacular, with Max Verstappen’s record-breaking achievements etching his name in the annals of motorsport history.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Formula 1 2023 Season Recap
What are the key highlights of the 2023 Formula 1 season?
In the 2023 Formula 1 season, Max Verstappen’s dominance and record-breaking achievements stand out as the key highlights. He secured his third consecutive championship title and set new records for race wins and consecutive victories.
How many races did Max Verstappen win in the 2023 season?
Max Verstappen had an outstanding season, winning a total of 18 races in the 2023 Formula 1 season, surpassing his own previous record.
Who holds the most career wins in Formula 1?
As of 2023, Max Verstappen’s 53 career wins have matched the tally set by Sebastian Vettel. However, Michael Schumacher (91) and Lewis Hamilton (103) still hold the record for the most career wins in Formula 1.
Which team won the Constructors’ Championship in 2023?
Red Bull Racing claimed the 2023 Constructors’ Championship title, showcasing their overall dominance in the season.
How did Sergio Perez perform in the 2023 season?
Sergio Perez, Max Verstappen’s teammate at Red Bull Racing, had a mixed season. While he secured second place in the Drivers’ standings, his performance was inconsistent, with several qualifying mishaps and race-day crashes.
Who were the standout performers among rookie drivers in 2023?
Oscar Piastri emerged as the standout rookie driver in the 2023 season, amassing 89 points and outperforming more experienced drivers. Daniel Ricciardo briefly replaced him due to injury, with Liam Lawson stepping in and impressing during his outings.
What was the final standings in both the Drivers’ and Constructors’ Championships?
In the 2023 Formula 1 season, Max Verstappen topped the Drivers’ Championship standings, while Red Bull Racing secured the Constructors’ Championship. Detailed standings are provided in the text.
How many race wins did Max Verstappen have in a row in 2023?
Max Verstappen achieved a remarkable feat in 2023 by winning 10 consecutive races in a row, surpassing the previous record of nine set by Sebastian Vettel in 2013.
Which races were canceled during the 2023 Formula 1 season?
The Emilia Romagna Grand Prix was canceled during the 2023 Formula 1 season, potentially affecting the championship standings.
When does the 2023 Formula 1 season conclude?
The 2023 Formula 1 season is set to conclude with the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, adding a final touch of excitement to this thrilling season.
More about Formula 1 2023 Season Recap
- Max Verstappen’s Profile
- 2023 Formula 1 Season Overview
- Red Bull Racing’s Official Website
- 2023 Formula 1 Race Results
- Sebastian Vettel’s Career Stats
- Michael Schumacher’s Career Stats
- Lewis Hamilton’s Career Stats
- Oscar Piastri’s Profile
- Daniel Ricciardo’s Profile
- Liam Lawson’s Profile
- 2023 Formula 1 Final Standings
- 2023 Formula 1 Constructors’ Standings
- Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Information